Monday, April 19, 2021

# Extra Credit

DVD Cover
     Time to bring up another documentary. It is the same topic as "Fresh," but a bigger focus on animals and the chemicals that go into raising them on an industrial farm. The name of the documentary is called "Food, Inc." and it speaks about issues about organic food is available for everyone. This film does have some intense scenes, so it is not appropriate for everyone.

    I watched "Food, Inc." when I was in high school for my Nutrition class. It was right before lunch, so a lot of my classmates refused to eat that day. I remember a lot of the film since then, and I would rather not watch it again. I am quite squeamish and I remember a lot of pigs screaming when they showed the kill floor. There is also a scene where chickens are thrown around and baby chicks tossed onto the floor. I am not for the mistreatment of animals even if it is for food. I understand the point "Food, Inc." is making, but I would have preferred a warning of the upcoming graphic conflict of industrial farming. If not from the film itself, at least from the teacher. Again, I understand that this is reality and an unfortunate thing that needs to be talked about. It is also unfortunate for people like me, to be triggered by the graphic sight and sound of the animals. The message that is brought out by the film is great, the actual watching of it is just not for people like me.

Chickens through the years
according to Food, Inc.
    The message of the movie is to shop more organic and to cut down on meat for the average food diet. I like this message as it is true for a lot of people. I wish that they brought up that it is important to discuss diet matters with your doctor as you could run into people like me who actually need to increase my meat intake. Though rare, I am someone who is protein and iron deficient. I also can not eat nuts, certain fruits, and have to prepare my vegetables a certain way. In this case, I have to eat a lot more meat than others for each meal. There are options like protein shakes and iron supplements, but there are worse side effects if they are taken too often. The film doe not ban eating meat altogether, and instead, bring up the option of eating organic meat. This is a subject that I am glad was brought up in the documentary.

    Overall I liked the topic "Food, Inc." brings up as it is an important one. The alternatives to industrial farming are explained in a good way and insightful. I do not recommend this documentary because of how extreme it can be at times. I would much rather watch "Fresh" again. But if you want to watch it;
I will leave that decision up to you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#10 Real Feminisms